February 1, 2010
Snapzilla has had albums for quite some time now. I just hadn’t mucked around with them that much before. Tonight I’ve been adding tons of my photos to my albums on Snapzilla. I’m trying to make certain that each photo is in at least one album. So far, I have gone through the photos back to March 6, 2008. I still have a few more years to go through before I get to my first photo. After that, I’m debating if I should do the same for tags. Snapzilla doesn’t show a tag cloud for individual users, or the community in general. Tags are soley used to search for other pictures that are taged the same. If I do go through and tag everything, I would much prefer that an API would be available to do something like that. I’ve been using API’s with my blog and the Yahoo! Term Extraction API to infuse it with tags for me. I also have the same photos in Flickr that are being tagged through tagcow.
I contacted Cristiano Midnight on Avatars United (the developer of Snapzilla) asking about the missing time on snapshots. He indicated that if I hovered my mouse over the date displayed below the image, then I would then see the time as well. He also stated that the time was in Eastern Time. I was scratching my head over that one as I could not find the time in the snapshots previously. I believe he added it after I had inquired about it.
posted by Dedric Mauriac on Mavericks using a blogHUD : [blogHUD permalink]
January 28, 2010
After 250 images, my $5.00 complementary credit at tagcow has run out. I hopped on over to flickr and saw a cloud of tags where before there were just a few. I threw in 10 dollars to have them continue work. In all, it will cost me roughly $45 dollars to tag everything. It’s better than me trying to go through each post and tagging them myself. No matter how much I try to hold back on money when it comes to services, sometimes I just need to put a price tag on my own time and compare.
Once all of this is done, I’ll have to pull at my flickr images with the flickr api and match them up against my wordpress posts to determine which tags should go where.
Speaking of downloading information to put into my blog, I believe I’m going to start looking into importing missing snapshots from snapzilla as well as some older ones from my real life blog documenting my first days in second life. I have already added my first image posted on Snapzilla, but I want to work out where the images will be hosted before I proceed with that. It’s too bad that Snapzilla doesn’t offer an API to work with my photos.
January 2, 2010
Hard coding expiration dates into LSL code was leading to a big problem with having to update my demonstration products every seven days. I worked at a solution today to host a database of licenses so that anyone can start the trial from the time that they first rez a product in-world. Most of the infrastructure on my web-based marketplace paid off as it was simple to setup an API to call the method and initiate a trial. Along with that, I have a bit of control over the message displayed to end-users to advertise my store, news and slurl to my shop. They only get the message at most, every five minutes if they keep interacting with the object. Otherwise, no message is displayed. I also display the length of time remaining (days/hours, hours/minutes, or minutes/seconds). Eventually, I’ll have 3 different versions of all of my products. Copy, Transfer, and Trial. The trial has both copy/transfer permissions and is free for anyone to copy. The trail is based on who owns the object. This will make it easy for me to list my products free on web-based marketplaces, since free objects seem to be the bulk volume of most of my sales. Currently, the trail is for seven days (controlled on the server). I am debating if seven days is too long.
In general, I have a local development environment that I’ve been creating my marketplace. Deploying to production proved useful as I discovered that the PHP version needed to be upgraded (took only 2 hours after a request), and that some features that I used didn’t work in that environment – specifically working with apache headers. Once it was fixed, everything worked like a charm. I’ll probably start deploying more web-based features for my products over time.
posted by Dedric Mauriac on Nowhereville using a blogHUD : [blogHUD permalink]