I needed to mock up a few graphics and found that Second Life was a good 3D graphics package to create some quick graphics to print out and play test.
I first started out building up a crude hexagon with some basic textures I had in my inventory.
I added some lights and setup my camera to look strait down at the tile. This is the image I can use to print off.
When I was looking at different options available for me to print with The Game Crafter, I cut up some index cards to match the dimensions and get a visual on their actual sizes.
My first attempt at determining how to tiles would look. I started out by making a system of caves.
Over time, I made many different versions of tiles. Some where used just to identify the possible combinations rather than looking like tiles. I created tons of tiles and kept working at different ways to use them.
I created a template on a 8.5×11 sheet of paper that I could use to draw more tiles at a high resolution. The idea was to draw each tile using the template to trace from, and then reduce the scanned tile to fit within the size of the hex tile.