Tonight I had a goal of moving my old blog posts concerning virtual worlds from my real life blog (of Lewis Moten) to my virtual world blog (for Dedric Mauriac). It turned out to be an exhaustive effort. The software in the dashboard told me that I needed to upgrade. I downloaded the free WordPress installation. I then had to dig through some archives to find my login credentials to connect through FTP. Once I had them, I found that I had problems with some features when mapping the FTP site through File Explorer in Vista. I ended up downloading a FireFox extension called FireFTP.
With all of this crazyness, it didn’t stop there. I found a file in my root directory that was over 1 GB in size. It had something to do with error logs, so I deleted it. As a precaution, I started to backup everything on my site and download it to my NAS200. It looked like it was going to take a while, so I left and watched a movie. I came back and found that it was still downloading. I found that it was halfway done downloading another error log file in a seperate directory. This was getting rediculouse. I deleted the file and started hunting throughout the site for other error logs.
Eventually I got to the point where I was able to backup everything, and start installing the software. It took a bit of time, but when I logged in, I saw that I had had almost 200,000 pending messages, and 3,000 spam messages. “ugh”.
I bypassed the spam and started migrating my second life posts to my virtual world blog. It took quite some time, but I was able to move 12 posts from December in addition to the one that I had moved the previous night.
Before turning in, I decided to tackle the spam problem. I was able to delete everything marked as spam, but the pending catagory seems as if it is going to give me trouble. Everything in it appears to be spam anyway. Once I activated the askimet spam plugin, I was able to tell the software to check for spam. It’s going to take a while. I think I’ll just relax and wait it out.