Learning what NOT to do.


I’ve been sitting here trying to rehash my script to take up less memory, as well as to speed up a bit. After all of my little tweaks here and there, the script actually ends up taking more memory. More refinding and again, more memory. Although the script runs fine, I would really like to get the initial memory at start up to be much higher. I’ve tried abandoning lists, cutting down on string usage, string concatonation, and what seems to be a ton of other tweaks. I feel like I just wasted the night away other than learning what not to do. At least I have a local copy of the original script before I started working on it.
posted by Dedric Mauriac on Hilbert using a blogHUD : [blogHUD permalink]

2 Responses to Learning what NOT to do.

  1. radar says:

    I know what you mean. I have a script that is a compilation of a flight assist script and a move lock script, both of which have their own timers and both of which take the controls, so i pretty much had to put them into one. But the timer issue is still messing me up because of the different times they need to check things.

    I’m sure there’s a simple solution, but I so need a real debugger right now just to get it clear in my weary brain what is actually going on. My “if (debug) llOwnerSay()” statements are only helping so much at the moment.

  2. I would love to have watches to monitor variables as they are changed, or to profile track down large memory consumers. Of course, it would help to have more methods offered to handle common work for us rather then reinventing the wheel with more resources.

%d bloggers like this: