Google Proxy and SL Google Appliance

Well, my friend SignpostMarv Martin came through for me. He pointed me in the direction of how to query the Google appliance for regions.

http://secondlife.com/app/search/search_proxy.php?q=%22Woodbridge%22%20site:http://world.secondlife.com/region/

I found that some regions would actually return multple results. Working with the query, I modified it to only search pages with “Woodbridge Region” in the title. When “Region” was added as a suffix, this made the difference.

SignpostMarv and I went over many different scenarios as I ran into some problems. The main problem was that I could not search against the secondlife search appliance with scripts. The lindens blocked access to secondlife.com for LSL scripts. He was full of ideas suggesting that I create web services to store information such as a regionName2key script to find out new region names. My heart was set on keeping everything running in-world without my need to do anything.

After a while of chatting with him, he said that is friend suggested using the Google Wireless Transcoder. Wouldn’t you know it? It was perfect!

I received an invitation to meet SignpostMarv Martin over at Hippotropolis. There I met his friend, Trinity Coulter. She was doing similer research attempting to query against the second life google search appliance.

As we chatted away, I was trying different methods to parse my results and verify that the results were accurate. I fell into one problem where searching “Rose” would return many regions. Searching “Rose Region” also returned the same number of regions. Trinity suggested that I could search against both “Rose Region” and “Region: Rose”. That was it!

I now have a small script that can query against the linden’s search engine to find Region ID’s.

posted by Dedric Mauriac on Hippotropolis using a blogHUD : [blogHUD permalink]

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: