Yes, it is another day in Second Life. I have been working on my little project with detecting land owners. My detection has become stable enough that I’ve started to work on a neat little utility for it. This “hub” is a directory of all land owners. here is a list of features I would like it to have:
- Navigate forward/backward through list of land owners
- Display percent of land owned
- Display owner ratings (behavior, appearance, building)
- Status if owner is online.
- Teleport to owners parcel.
- Send IM to owner
- Allow land owners to submit image to represent there avatar and land.
- See when owner was first detected.
- See how long owner has had an account with SL.
A few of these probably will not make it into the game. I’ve resorted to using pie charts for the ratings and land ownership in my mock-up. Hover-text is helpful, but I do not want to use it everywhere. I may end up having a button to just say the additional information if the end-user wants to hear it.
If it becomes popular, perhaps many Sims will have there own community directories.
Earlier in the day I was having problems making a concave cylinder. I’ve seen other objects in the world where the sides bend in the middle as a curve. Lynuor Richelieu came to the rescue and taught me how to make them. It turns out that you actually start out with a Torus. This is pretty much a shape that looks like a donut. You hollow it out and then cut the outside of it off. This way, you are left with just the center. These concave cylinders make for nice stands.